Golder Associates Ltd. is seeking an intermediate to senior level Geotechnical Engineers/Project Managers to join their Construction Services and Materials Engineering Group as part of their Greater Golden Horseshoe Operations, in our Cambridge, Barrie, Markham and St. Catharines locations. The roles and responsibilities will entail a combination of technical work, technical review, and involvement in developing and promoting our Construction Services business including promotion, proposal writing, client development, and strategic A key function of the role involves direct interaction with clients, with other Golder technical specialists and the mentoring of junior staff in various offices around the Golder group of companies.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Client Service and Business Development:
- Gaining a thorough understanding of Golder’s geotechnical and foundations engineering service offerings for land development, transportation and infrastructure projects to help identify partnership opportunities and capitalize on “add-on” opportunities within existing projects;
- Working with colleagues to further increase Golder’s profile in the GTA and Greater Golden Horseshoe region, to expand our range of services to existing clients and to develop new clients through your contacts; and
- Growing Golder’s local business in Mississauga by developing work and building a local team.
- Carrying out fieldwork, for subsurface investigations including layout, supervising drill rigs and/or excavators, logging boreholes and test pits, site surveying to determine elevations at specific locations using GPS equipment, sampling soil and groundwater, and detailed site sketches;
- Using specialized equipment and apparatus to prepare analyses, reports and/or technical drawings; and
- Summarizing and analyzing findings from investigations and lab testing for report writing.
- Project and Client Involvement:
- Participating as a geotechnical consultant and project manager in project teams on multiple projects, based out of the GTA and our Greater Golden Horseshoe operations from initiation to execution of a project;
- Managing a variety of geotechnical engineering projects, including work plan and budget preparation and monitoring, invoicing and follow-up, supervision and mentoring of junior colleagues, and management of sub-consultants and sub-contractors;
- Ensuring quality control/quality assurance of field work, field data analysis and interpretation, and engineering calculations;
- Developing an understanding of our client’s needs and delivering high quality service to ensure client satisfaction;
- Functioning as a key participant in team and client meetings, presenting and representing as required;
- Helping develop and participate in strong interoffice and intercompany teams to achieve project goals;
- Recognizing areas for internal improvement and working with colleagues to develop these improvements; and
- Minimizing our exposure and risk across projects.
- Serving as a technical resource in the geotechnical and foundations engineering business across the life cycle of project work including: problem definition, solution development, testing, engineering, commissioning and operations support;
- Serving as bench strength for project development and delivery (proposals, project management, reports, client relations, reviews, team development and training);
- Performing advanced data analysis and application of methodologies/techniques;
- Working to build relationships and business opportunities with other Golder staff around the world, through constructive engagement and collaboration;
- On a as required basis, arranging technical presentations and webinars in your areas of expertise;
- Working with Principals and Associates in developing and maintaining expertise in technologies to serve key business interests;
- Contributing to a rewarding and collaborative work atmosphere in the office, and engaging and mentoring junior environmental colleagues on environmental services; and
- Contributing to a culture of health, safety and protection of the environment by being a role model to junior and new staff and by giving industry and site perspectives to inexperienced staff which are crucial to make safety and contribute to the development, streamlining and automation of safety related documentation.
- Maintaining a chargeability target of approximately 60% (to be discussed further and adjusted as necessary);
- Travelling as required to fulfill project commitments;
- Demonstrating a “Safety First” focus and acting as a role model to other staff;
- Maintaining a high standard of ethical behaviour to uphold Golder’s reputation and demonstrating a commitment to our Core Values; and
- Performing other duties as required.
While the primary focus will be on construction and materials projects related to the transportation sector within the GTA, opportunities will exist to work with other groups within this multidisciplinary office, as well as other Golder offices in Ontario and elsewhere.