Golder Associates is seeking a dynamic Tax Manager to join our Global Tax Team in Mississauga.
This role will report directly to the Global Head of Tax and will support the activities directed by the Global Tax Director, Operations (“Global Tax Director”), and the Senior Manager – US Taxation (“Senior Manager, Taxation”). In this role you will be primarily responsible for the management and execution of international tax compliance, tax accounting, indirect tax issues including US sales and property tax as well as business operational related tax activities globally, but primarily concentrating on entities in Canada and the US. You will also work closely with the Director Taxation and the Senior Manager, Taxation.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
Tax provision (25%):
- Preparation of the quarterly Canadian tax provision including the current and deferred tax calculations under the supervision of the Global Tax Director.
- Assisting the Senior Manager US Taxation with the preparation of the quarterly US tax provisions.
- Assist with the review of the tax packages for other global tax entities as well as the consolidated tax provision, including the preparation and analysis of the effective tax rate reconciliation.
- Preparation of reconciliation and adjustment of tax provision to filings and assessments.
- Be the subject matter expert on tax accounting standards applicable to all international entities (except for US and Canada) (i.e. IAS 12).
- Support the financial statement audits of international entities by tailoring the quarterly international tax provisions to the requirements of the financial statement audit and responding to all queries with respect to tax accounting for those entities.
- Ensure all permanent and temporary differences are accurately reported and identified.
- Calculate Return-to-Provision true-up and provide requisite journal entries.
Tax compliance (25%):
- Preparation of the Canadian corporate income tax returns and other compliance reporting requirements (including Foreign Affiliate Reporting and Information returns) under the guidance of the Global Tax Director.
- Assist the Senior Manager, US tax with the preparation of US corporate income tax returns and other compliance reporting requirements.
- Preparation of Canadian federal and provincial installments calculations, ensuring that installments are made on a timely basis.
- Assist with Canadian and US tax audits, reassessments and objections.
- Manage external consultants to ensure that Scientific Research and Experimental Development (“‘SRED”) claims are submitted on time.
Indirect Taxes (25%):
Assist the Global Head of Tax with developing a well-defined and streamlined process to prepare the monthly US and Canadian GST/HST tax returns. Specifically:
- Prepare monthly sales and commodity tax remittances and general-ledger reconciliation for Canada and US.
- Develop, maintain and monitor processes to ensure sales and commodity taxes are properly charged.
- Determine if sales and commodity taxes are properly assessed and paid on invoices.
- Manage and assist indirect tax audits. Ensure that all indirect tax authority queries are tracked and responded to in an accurate and timely manner and that all indirect tax authority relationships are properly monitored and managed
- Proactively seek out opportunities to enhance or streamline indirect tax compliance processes. Work closely with the Golder IT team department to ensure that the system is able to correctly account for indirect tax issues and ensuring that reports are properly configured, monitored and updated for changing tax legislation.
International Tax, Transfer Pricing, Global Mobility and Other matters (25%):
- Work with external advisors to further simplify the operational transfer pricing models ensuring that the models are easy to use and maintain.
- Develop a control framework governing the key transfer pricing flows as well as a plan for managing the annual transfer pricing compliance workflow.
- Participate fully in all monthly meetings with the external advisors and provide input to ensure that external advisors are fully conversant with business issues.
- Work with Global Head of Taxation and Global Tax Director to review intercompany profitability to ensure that these are within target ranges as outlined in the transfer pricing reports.
- Monitor the BEPS discussions and ensure that the Golder group is ready for expanded disclosure such as country by country reporting.
- Assist Global Head of Taxation and Global Tax Director to assess current transfer pricing models and streamline model inputs and allocation keys where possible to make model more efficient and build in flexibility for future growth.
- Assist team as required in relation to customer queries relating to W-8, W-9 or other withholding tax documentation.
- Assist Global Head of Taxation and Global Tax Director to assess corporate tax matters associated with globally mobile workforce.
- Assistance in tax planning matters as they arise.
- Assisting the Global Head of Tax on financing and treasury matters as required.